June 21, 2018
Summertime is here, which means warm weather, sunny days, sunblock, and a lot time spent outdoors! For those of you who are hearing aid users, summertime can also bring with it some problems!
Heat and moisture can do a tremendous amount of damage to hearing aids if exposed. Water and sweat in particular can be the two biggest enemies of hearing aids during the summer, and temperature changes can cause condensation and an increased propensity to sweat. This may damage your hearing aids and prevent them from work properly.
Damage could result in distorted or weak sound quality, reduced battery life and inconsistent functionality.
It’s important to take extra care during the summer months. Here are some ways to keep you hearing aids safe and functional this summer.
- Take out your hearing aids when exercising outside, if it is raining or if the weather is extremely warm.
- At night, open the battery door to allow dry, fresh air to move through the hearing aid and relieve moisture.
- Keep your hearing aids in a protective case and out of direct sunlight when you are not wearing them.
- Avoid storing hearing aids in humid places such as in glove boxes, dashboards, or other environments where heat and moisture can build up.
- Remove your hearing aids before showering, swimming or any activity in which you will or could be exposed to water.
- Sunscreen has oils that can damage hearing aids, so apply lotions or sprays completely before putting on your hearing aids. Be sure that the sunscreen is fully rubbed in or dry before putting your hearing aids back on or the oils will seep into open seams and microphone ports or vents.
Summer should be fun not stressful. Follow our tips above for a worry-free summer that’s full of sounds and sunshine. Have questions about how to care for your hearing aids? Don’t hesitate to give us a call!
At Tustin Hearing Center, we are passionate about “hearing” and the importance of hearing health. Hearing care is healthcare. To schedule your appointment with one of our Doctors of Audiology, call us at (714) 731-6549. We look forward to seeing you soon!