Your Hearing Lifestyle
Choosing the right hearing aid depends on the type of lifestyle that you live. You and your Audiologist can discuss this together.
Hearing aid technology is constantly evolving, with continued technological advancements occurring regularly. These improvements have led to the availability of a wide variety of stylish and discreet devices for those with hearing loss to choose from.
Because everyone’s hearing situation is unique, it is important to be fitted with the best hearing aid to suit your hearing loss, lifestyle and personality. Your Doctor of Audiology will not only assess your level of hearing loss, but will also ask you to consider many aspects of your lifestyle in order to determine which hearing aid features will suit your communication and activity needs.
Questions you might be asked include:
- Do you hold many conversations one on one?
- Do you attend meetings?
- How often do you attend concerts and movies?
- How often do you use the telephone/cell phone?
- Do you attend large group activities (parties, family celebrations)?
- Do you watch a lot of television?
- Do you dine in restaurants often?
- Do you take part in many sports or outdoor activities?
- How often do you listen to music?
Based on your lifestyle, different levels of hearing aid technology can be recommended. Which of the following best describes your lifestyle?
ACTIVE - Frequent Background Noise
Premium Technology: Designed for individuals who lead active lifestyles and whose listening environments include frequent background noise.
- A variety of video and audio entertainment
- Diverse restaurant dining
- Sporting events
- Outdoor activities
- Demanding careers
- Group participation
- Family gatherings
- Church activities
CASUAL - Occasional Background Noise
Advanced Technology: Designed for individuals who lead casual lifestyles and whose listening environments contain occasional background noise.
- Frequent television
- Quiet restaurant dining
- Small meetings
- Family gatherings
- Weekly church services
QUIET - Limited Background Noise
Mid-Level Technology: Designed for individuals who lead quiet lifestyles and whose listening environments include limited background noise.
- Some television
- Quiet shopping trips
- Limited religious services
- Regular visitors
- Limited music
VERY QUIET - Rare Background Noise
Entry-Level Technology: Designed for individuals who lead very quiet lifestyles and whose listening environments rarely include background noise.
Very Quiet Lifestyle
- Activities in and around the home
- Infrequent television and music
- Infrequent visitors